AHCCCS Medicaid is Arizona’s state Medicaid program. It provides health insurance for qualified individuals including seniors and younger Medicare eligible people. Recipients may qualify to receive extensive health insurance benefits with minimal or possibly no monthly premiums.
Who Qualifies For AHCCCS?
To be eligible, you need to:
- Be an Arizona Resident and a United States citizen or qualified immigrant.
- Have, or be eligible for, a Social Security number.
- Have a limited income.
- Be a senior, age 65+, or approved for Supplemental Security Income (SSI), based on disability, by the Social Security Administration.
The gross monthly income limit as of September 2020 was $1,064 for a single applicant and $1,437 for an applicant and spouse.
Click here for additional information on AHCCCS eligibility.
AHCCCS Medicaid offers a variety of health care programs that serve Arizona seniors who meet income and other requirements.
Under AHCCCS, some of the covered medical services include:
- Doctor’s Visits
- Immunizations (shots)
- Prescriptions (Not covered if you have Medicare)
- Lab and X-rays
- Early and Periodic Screening Diagnosis and Treatment Services for Medicaid eligible children under 21
- Specialist Care
- Hospital Services
- Transportation to doctor
- Emergency Care
- Podiatry Services Performed by a Podiatrist
- Pregnancy Care
- Surgery Services
- Physical Exams
- Behavioral Health
- Family Planning Services
- Glasses (for children under age 21)
- Vision Exams (for children under age 21)
- Dental Screening (for children under age 21)
- Dental Treatment (for children under age 21)
- Emergency Dental (for adults 21 and older. Up to $1000 per contract year)
- Hearing Exams (for children under age 21)
- Hearing Aids (for children under age 21)
Under AHCCCS, covered behavioral health services also include supervised, therapeutic and medical day programs, rehabilitation services, individual education and training, residential services and support services including case management, personal assistance and Arizona Long Term Care (ALTCS).
For more information on AHCCCS covered services visit AHCCCS.
Apply For AHCCCS
There are four different ways that Arizona seniors can apply for AHCCCS Medicaid. You can:
- Contact ACCESSMed Foundation at (602) 375-2412 from 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday through Friday. We will provide you with personal Medicaid counseling and help you enroll.
- Click on the GET AHCCCS MEDICAID HELP link that is at the bottom of every page on this website. An ACCESSMed volunteer (who is a highly experienced health insurance professional) will contact you to provide Medicaid counseling and help you enroll in the best benefits available.
- Submit an online application through Health-e-Arizona Plus.
- Call the Arizona Department of Economic Security at (855) 432-7587 and request a paper application.
AHCCCS Medicaid provides low-cost and possibly no-cost health care insurance for vulnerable seniors. If you are an Arizona senior who is dealing with health challenges and also a limited income, ACCESSMed Foundation can help.