There is no user’s manual for family care giving. Time pressure, physical and emotional stress and financial strains are an every day reality. Added to those pressures, the complexity of managing Medicare, AHCCCS Medicaid and private health insurance can be overwhelming.

So Many Medicare and
AHCCCS Medicaid Options

For family caregivers, and vulnerable seniors, just understanding all of the available health insurance options is very complicated. For starters, almost every senior (age 65+) is covered by Medicare insurance. Medicare generally pays for about 80% of most senior’s medical bills. But unfortunately, the remaining unpaid 20% can be very expensive.

Expenses that are not covered by Medicare may be paid by a Medigap Medicare Supplement, or possibly by an economical Medicare Advantage plan. In Arizona, additional AHCCCS Medicaid options are available for seniors who are living on a limited income. And, additional AHCCCS and Medicare Advantage options are available for seniors who are challenged by chronic health conditions (such as diabetes, chronic heart failure, high cholesterol and high blood pressure).

Family caregivers are certainly challenged to select the best health insurance coverage from among all of these options. And the process is made increasingly difficult by the fact that the availability of insurance carriers and policies varies from county to county. And, the carriers and policies that are available in any given county may change from year to year.

Keeping up with all of these options is certainly daunting. Unfortunately, it is also essential because the doctors and hospitals that are available under any senior’s insurance coverage may change on an annual basis.

Medicare and Medicaid Help

Get Help Making Decisions

Faced with ongoing medical challenges, financial pressures and emotional turmoil, most caregivers and health-challenged elderly need help making insurance decisions. They need and deserve knowledgeable, trustworthy and objective guidance.

That is why we created nonprofit ACCESSMed Foundation. We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit community service that helps vulnerable Arizona seniors access affordable, quality health care. Our volunteer counselors are compassionate and highly professional health insurance agents who re-certify on every health insurance product that they represent on an annual basis. They are not employees of an insurance company (which would require them to represent only that company’s insurance products). Rather, they are independent agents who represent a wide range of insurance carriers and policies.

ACCESSMed volunteers meet with and counsel our clients to help them enroll in the Medicare, AHCCCS Medicaid and Medicare supplements that best align with their unique situations.

Family Caregiver Symposium

ACCESSMed Foundation partners with nonprofit Duet: Partners In Health & Aging to provide additional services to vulnerable seniors and their caregivers.

Whether you are a caregiver, or a professional, you will find the Duet Family Caregiver Virtual Symposium both moving and memorable. View the Virtual Symposium.

Or, visit the Duet website to learn more about their services and volunteer opportunities.

Duet logo

Get Help

For help, contact ACCESSMed at (602) 375-2412, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Or just click on the GET HELP link at the bottom of this page and let us know how we can.

Leer más en Español.